It’s almost Father’s Day in Australia and to honour this special day I’m sharing a quick and easy handmade gift idea for the men in your life.
Now, I know what you’re thinking
I know… I need to clarify
I know we’re in August…
But … Australians celebrate father’s day a little later than the rest of the world. Dad’s down under need to wait until the first Sunday of September for their special day.
This black vinyl passport holder was a $2 find in a bargain store, but a little bit of crafting magic makes it a fabulous stand out from all the rest.
©2015 Effie Carayannis
Passport holder- size (100mm x 1400), can be vinyl, leather, or patent leather
Andy Skinner Stencil – Route 66 (12″x3″)
Fine grade sandpaper
No. 4 stencil brush
¼ inch angle shader
No.10/0 liner brush
Americana Multi-Purpose Sealer
Americana Glazing Medium
DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Lamp (Ebony) Black, Bittersweet Chocolate, Neutral Grey, Fawn, Light Mocha
Americana DuraClear Varnish – Matte
TIP: To paint the cover of the passport holder, open it out and face it upwards, so you‘re painting the front and the back of it simultaneously. Refer to the picture for guidance when applying stencils.
Let’s paint the design
- Give the passport holder a light sand before you begin then apply a coat of Multi-Purpose Sealer using the basecoating brush, allow it to dry then sand once again.
- Base with two coats of Lamp (Ebony) Black using the basecoating brush, allow the first coat to dry before applying the second coat.
- Mix equal parts of Glazing Medium and Bittersweet Chocolate and apply this with the basecoating brush, while this is still wet, place a piece of the cling wrap over the top, press over it with your hand so wrinkles form; then remove the cling wrap carefully. Allow to dry.
- Mix equal parts of Glazing Medium and Neutral Grey, apply over the cover as previously and repeat the Cling wrap process. Allow to dry.
- Place the required section of the stencil over the background referring to the picture for placement. With the dry stencil brush pick up a little Neutral Grey, wipe any excess paint off on a paper towel and gently pounce over the design. Let it dry.
- Keeping the stencil in place, pounce over the same area with Fawn/Light Mocha/Bittersweet Chocolate 2:2: touch, allowing some of the first layer to show through.
- Carefully remove the stencil, place the required section on another part of the cover and repeat the process then let it dry thoroughly.
- Side load the angle shader with Lamp (Ebony) Black and float beside the left hand side and underneath each letter and element.
- Add water to the Fawn/Light Mocha/Bittersweet Chocolate mix to make a runny consistency, load this on the toothbrush then run your finger through the bristles to splatter a little over the piece.
- Paint within the “PASSPORT” inscription using Lamp (Ebony) Black loaded on the liner brush.
- Apply a couple of coats of Varnish using the basecoating brush.
Americana products and Andy Skinner stencil distributed by DecoArt Inc. online store DecoArt.com store
Happy Father’s Day,